RE: Oil Leaking

To: "'John Di Fede'" <difejo@optonline.net>,
Subject: RE: Oil Leaking
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:11:35 -0700
John,

This occurred to me.  I "tested"  the crankcase ventilation yesterday by
blowing through the hose connected to the smog canister.  It seemed to flow
freely.  At first I gave up on this idea but then I started thinking about
the intermittent nature of my leak and figured maybe at times the
ventilation connection isn't flowing freely.

The two wires on the solenoid on the output of the canister are not
connected.  In general I'd say the crankcase vent system is suspect.
Perhaps I'll disconnect the hose on the canister and try running it around
that way for a while and see what happens.  I'll either find a filter for
the end of the hose or use the catch can method.

Frank

> Frank,
>
> Before you pull the engine, check and make sure that the
> crankcase ventilation system is functioning properly.  I've
> seen clogged PCV systems cause pressure to build in an engine
> and this causes oil to be forced out past the seals.
>
> John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: