Re: '66 MBG Seat Upholstery

To: Douglas Gaither <dgaither@northeastassembly.org>,
Subject: Re: '66 MBG Seat Upholstery
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 04:54:52 -0700 (PDT)
Doug, it's actually fairly straightforward - just get a dry cleaning bag (they
type they give you over hanging clothes) and slip that over the foam cushion.
Then, slip the cover it - it will slide right on, since the bag prevents
binding on the foam. Then, rip out as much as you can before you glue the cover
on. I used 3M spary adhesive. WARNING! Wear eye protection when you spray into
the area,as it will blowback!

I did my '65 B's seats with no problems using this method.

Douglas Gaither <dgaither@northeastassembly.org> wrote:
Dear MG people,

I am finally installing the leather upholstery. The bottoms weren't a
problem, but the backs have me concerned. I've taped the card backing
onto the frame and the foam cushion seams very oversized. In my "DIY
Guide" by Porter they are using a newer car with 'fitted' cushions. My
cushion is just a flat piece of foam with an extra pad at the lower
back, with edging. I purchased this from Moss. Moreover the seat
cover (Mike Satur) look like they will be a tight fit over the frame.
And with an oversized cushion, this looks like a big mess.

How do I get the cushion to stay on the frame while I'm pulling the new
leather cover over it? Can I tape it? Glue it? Some combination
thereof?

Doug

Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328

Check out the new British Cars Forum: