type D overdrive help

To: MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com, mgtseriesowners@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: type D overdrive help
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:25:16 -0500
Hi everyone, I'm looking for Type D overdrive help. I have read a quite
a bit of information but I'm looking for someone with some specific
knowledge. This was a pretty common unit used in other cars, so if you
might know someone from the other lists that could give me advise,
please forward my email around for me. thanks..

The question is:  The oil pump plunger is frozen in my D type
overdrive. I have mildly wacked it with a ball peen and rod but it
doesn't budge after letting it soak in WD 40 for a few days.  I can't
get a grip on the non return valve body to get it out - the manual says
it screws out and it won't budge. The manuals and internet readings
don't indicate what I should do. I don't want to dismantle the entire
unit if I don't have to and even if I do but it appears that the only
way to reach the top of the plunger would be to take the main shaft
out. It seems to me I might want to shove a screw extractor into the
non return valve body even it I ruin it (it costs $50 at VicBrit) )
Looking for suggestions! Thanks, Mike

Check out the new British Cars Forum: