Re: MGA Fast Idle

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@mis.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA Fast Idle
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:01:47 -0500
Mike Razor wrote:

> What would cause my MGA to stick at around 1200-1500 RPMs.  I can bump the
> gas pedal and sometimes it will ease back down, sometimes it won't.  I
> checked the throttle cable and all the linkage etc on the carbs and all
> seems to be in order.  I am guessing it may be the throttle shafts are
> sucking "wind" (air) and may need to be rebushed.  I am also hoping someone
> will email back with a simple cheaper solution.

If it was the shafts, bumping the throttle would not ever work to get
it back down. Something is holding the throttle(s) open. Usually this
is a broken wire in the cable, intermittently sticking. I would
lubricate the linkages with silicone spray lube (magical stuff) in
case that's what's sticking. Failing all else, I would add an extra
spring to the return setup.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/