Shameles self-promotion, 25 hour enduro

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shameles self-promotion, 25 hour enduro
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:24:09 -0700
While this post does not relate directly to the subjects of MGs or
British Cars, please indulge me, because it is about the encompassing
subject of motorsports. Over the years, I've posted many stories about
my racing and track exploits in my MG http://www.red4est.com/jasmine
and before that the Cortina, and very briefly the Spitfire that I also
raced.

My current racecar, a Spec Miata, http://www.red4est.com/miata , while not
british, is truly what an MGB would be if engineering and development
on them had not been arrested at a point that predates their inception
by at least five years.

This December I am going to pursue a nearly lifelong dream, and
compete in a 25 hour race a little over an hour north of
Sacramento. Over the course of the past year, I've taken my racecar
http://www.red4est.com/miata from almost totally stock, to competitive
in its class.

I've put together the core of a team to compete in this race, and now
with it a little over a month away, it's time to recruit the rest of
the team that we'll need.

For the sake of brevity, I won't repeat all of the details that I've
got posted at http://www.red4est.com/enduro but it'll be a tremendous
challenge, a lot of fun and we need help with everything from
accounting to webdesign, from cooking to driving, as there are still a
couple of slots available for drivers.

I'll need help designing a team shirt, help selling it to raise money,
and will need people to buy them. If you know anyone who would be
interested in sponsoring a car that will be in a race that gets
international press coverage, please let me know.

And last, but not least, in the tradition of everything always
happening at once, I need to find a job so that I can afford to pay
for this. My online resume is at http://www.red4est.com/lrc/resume.html
If you know of any opportunities for an engineer with over 20 years of
experience, please let me know and I'll be happy to send a copy of my
resume that has been trimmed down to a size more appropriate for being
printed out.

As a topical side story, a friend of mine has a Sunbeam Tiger which
has never been registerd for the street. It went straight from the
showroom to the racetrack. I tried to convince him that we should
build it to run in the enduro, but was not successful. Unfortunately,
I also didn't have the money to buy the car from him and bring it up
to modern standards myself, so this years race effort is merely
challenging and daunting, but not as outright quixotic as it might
have been.

Even so, there is a good chance that the team "logo" will be the crest
of the Rod and Spanner.
http://www.red4est.com/lrc/pix/humor/rodandspanner.jpg

I apologize for the slightly offtopic digression, but hope that it is
interesting enough to entice at least a couple of you to come and help
out.  And now, I've got to prepare my streetcar for instructing at
Sears Point this weekend.

   Larry Colen

--
http;//www.red4est.com/enduro                      http://www.red4est.com/miata