Re: Head leak

To: Danny Varnado <dannyvarnado@cox.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Head leak
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:23:16 -0500
Danny Varnado wrote:

> List,
>
>> I have a very strange water leak problem on my '74 MGB engine.  After
>> driving about 10 miles a small white dried run of water (antifreeze
>> residue) will appear.  It shows up on the spark plug side of the head
>> about 3/8" from the top of the head above and towards the front of #3
>> spark plug. I have cleaned off the paint and wire brushed the area .
>> I have looked at the area with a magnifying glass and had it dye
>> checked to look for a crack or pin hole.  I have inspected the area
>> cold, hot, and hot with the engine running without finding any
>> indication of the leak.  I have never seen the leak wet, only the
>> dried residue of the run after driving the car.   It's almost like
>> water loss through osmosis.  The amount of water leaking is almost
>> insignificant.  I cannot detect any drop in the overflow tank level.
>> My concern is whether or not the head has a very thin spot in the
>> water jacket because of poor casting, corrosion or erosion.  I don't
>> know wether or not it will get any worse  I'd hate to be going down
>> the road and have it blow out.  Any suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.

Might not be coming from inside the head. Might be a pinhole leak in a
hose that only happens when it's fully hot. I would treat it like a
detective story: thoroughly clean the area again, make sure it's dry,
then, using duct tape or masking tape, affix a piece of white paper
over the area where you see the residue. If the residue is white, use
dark paper. Take a run or two. You should then be able to see where
the residue is coming from, a leak or a squirt, or droplets in a
wind-stream.

If you do find an "osmotic" leak, I would be satisfied, myself, with a
coin epoxied over the area with really good industrial epoxy, not the
fast-set stuff.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/