Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedo reads low after overdrive conversion
From: "Derek Vandivere" <derek@vandivere.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:49:57 +0100
So my mechanic, about a year ago, converted my 78 B to overdrive.
Hooray! I now have two problems with it: the speedo is now very jerky,
tending to settle down a bit more at speed (around 20 mph, it jerks
between 0 and 40, but only oscillates by 10 mph or so at 70 mph).
Second, it consistently reads about 10 mph (maybe 10%, actually) lower
than my actual speed (as measured with a GPS).

For the first problem, do I correctly remember that powdered graphite
is a good lubricant for the cable? Funnily enough, Dad still had the
tube left over from a Pinewood Derby, so I'm set there.

For the second problem, my best guess is that the OD has the wrong
speedo pinion on it (Moss parts 462-610 or 462-615 for OD, but I
suspect he may have just left the original non-OD pinion on, if that's
possible). Would that be at all consistent with reading low all the
time? And am I correct in thinking that which pinion you use depends
on the marking of the OD unit itself?

(or should I just give up and go back to my mechanic and tell him it
just don't work and he should fix it? it's been a bit of a saga with
this speedo...)

Thanks,
Derek (78 B in Amsterdam, and now a 2002 Saab 93 diesel for the commute)