Re: Engine Rebuild?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild?
From: Timfboston@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:05:34 -0500
Thanks for all the advice so far.  I took off the cylinder head today.   The
exhaust valve on the #2 was missing 1/8 of the face and the rest of the valves
were bad.  If I had a digital camera I would take a picture for show and tell,
but I'm sure you have all seen what it looks like on "This is Bad Pictures"
section on peoples websites.  The guy at the machine shop was very surprised
when I told him it was not smoking.  So, the head is at the machine shop and
will wait for the estimate.  New hardened seats, valves, guides, maybe springs.
 The cylinders looked good.  no scratches.
  1.  What $$ should I expect to see from the machine shop?
2. What type of head gasket is recommended?  Copper, Composite, Payen Brand?
(It had the copper one on)
3.  A couple of the head studs came out  when unbolting.  Should I replace the
studs or is it OK to reuse?
4.  What is recommended to clean the block head and piston tops?
5.  Any recommendations on things to look at while the head is off?
6.  I need a new exhaust.  Is it a simple join the pipes together and clamp, or
do I need to go to a muffler shop (welding,?)

Thank you,

Tim Foley
1971 MGB
BRG/ tan top