Re: MGB GT Springs on an MGC

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>, <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB GT Springs on an MGC
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:15:50 -0000
James - I used red poly bushes together with RB roadster springs on a CB
roadster and found the ride very choppy and unpleasant over some surfaces.
Eventually I went back to the CB roadster springs but keeping the red poly
bushes and it is noticeably better.  The reason for trying the harder springs
was because I was getting significant fouling of the tyres on the arches
following a conversion from Rostyles to wire wheels, using rear conversion
hubs on a steel wheel axle.  Eventually I fitted a pukka wire wheel axle which
was when I reverted to the standard springs.  However I was able to get OE
springs of the correct loading, which actually gave too low a ride height when
fully loaded causing frequent grounding.  A couple of years ago I 'cut and
shut' two pairs of shackles to give about an extra inch or so of ride height
and now all is well.

PaulH.