mgb for sale sighting

To: mg-mgb-list@yahoogroups.com, MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: mgb for sale sighting
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:09:37 -0600
In case anyone is interested I just looked at a 71 MGB with wires at a
car dealer in central Illinois.  It has some rust on each side in the
dogleg at the rear of the rockers. Other than that it was rust free.
The sills appeared rust free and the floorboards were in great shape.
I didn't see any rusted out areas anywhere else It had no rust around
the battery compartment.  It ran well with the gauge indicating good
oil pressure, decent acceleration and clean smelling/looking exhaust.
The clutch seemed good but the brakes were not. It drove well and
shifted easily with a light press on the clutch and no slipping.  The
paint was bad. It was an old enamel paint job that had crinkled up and
had some spray can touch up.   The front edge of the hood was damaged
and the passenger headlight area was slightly crunched.  The carpet was
in good shape. The interior wasn't too bad. There was a big wear spot
where the drivers arm rests on the door and a crack on the upper
dashboard. The seats were not bad. The only tears were on one side.
Nothing apparent but they looked like they might have been redone.

A brake job would make it a decent driver.  Repair the doglegs, strip
the enamel repaint you would have a nice driver. The tires were decent.
  It was a great candidate for restoration and I think you could pick it
up at a decent price.

I already own 3 MGs so it was just a little more than I wanted to
tackle at this time.
Art Hossler Auto Plaza - 2.2 miles N - 2000 North Main St, Canton,
61520 - (309) 647-1513
Mike