Re: Bouncing Speedometer Needle

To: "Michael Zachariah" <mzachariah@yahoo.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bouncing Speedometer Needle
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:02:16 -0000
The most common cause, where the needle flicks a few of times per second at,
say, 30mph is a sticky cable or broken strands in the cable.  Pulling the
inner and examining it, and cleaning off old grease and lubricating with
thinner oil may help.If not maybe the outer has been damaged, which may not
be visible externally.  Also check the routing and make sure any bends are
as large a radius as possible.  All MGBs were issued with a right-angle
drive between the cable and the gearbox, and LHD cars had another between
the speedo and the cable.  They break and are expensive to replace, and
whilst you can get away without the bottom one, often with a slightly longer
cable, the top one is more necessary.

If the pulsing is much less than that and in time with the odometer movement
it was a dry input shaft on the speedo head in my case.  A drop of light oil
solved that, despite frequent recommendations that you should not get any
oil or grease near the speedo.

PaulH.