Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:43:58 +1030
Hans Duinhoven wrote:

> Just heard this last week on the news:
> The Irish republic has officially changed form miles to kilometers.

I still love it that when I first visited America in the mid-eighties on
business I asked when the US might be going metric.  The answer I got
was a quite definite "NEVER".  When I asked why not, when most of her
trading partners where going (or already were) metric, the answer again
was quite definite:

"Because we don't HAVE to - our trading partners come to us, so they can
like our weights and measures or go elsewhere"

I hope that feeling has softened a touch in the ensuing twenty years :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII