Metric (was Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.)

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Metric (was Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.)
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:35:58 -0600
Rocky Frisco wrote:
> Paul Root wrote:
>
>> Well, I don't know. Back when I was in 9th grade, my
>> Science teacher was of the opinion that we should take all
>> non metric things and throw them in an ocean and make a new
>> reaf. Back then, let's see, was that '78/79 or so? There was
>> political talk and maybe even a pseudo plan to convert to
>> metric. Everything made in the US was with Standard English
>> sizes.
>

> Am I wrong? I thought the Dodge was all metric.

I think most cars are now. Since they are "world" cars.

Of all the new cars I've bought, all but one was "assembled" in
the US, 3 in Michigan and one in Tennesee. I think of them as
American cars even if they have Japanese company names on them.
That V-6 in my wife's Mazda6 is a Ford engine at heart.

>> Now, there is no glimmer of a plan. Not on any politicians
>> radar. However, many things made are using Metric.
>

> I have a nice hodge-podge of every kind of wrench in my toolbox, metric
> and SAE, all resting peacefully together, maybe even a whitworth or two
> in there. They never argue about God or blow anybody up. I just use the
> one that's appropriate.   ;)

Mine too. And there may have been a 13mm wrench or two that has done
some work on the old 'B.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB