Re: Buying paint?

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Buying paint?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:33:25 -0800 (PST)
--- Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I have a compressor and spray gun, I was
> thinking about  spraying the boot lid on my MGA

> Basic question: where do I get the necessary paint
> mixed?

As mentioned, there are distributors that supply the
body shops.  Generally, you can find them by visiting
the web sites of the big paint suppliers such as
DuPont, Sikkens, Standox, Glasurit, etc.  If not, then
just ask someone at a body shop.  They'll tell you.

> Next question: is spraying paint something that a
> beginner can do a reasonable job of? Any general
> advice?

Yes and no.  The actual spraying is pretty easy, if
you buy a decent book and follow the instructions.
But what separates a good finish from a mediocre
finish is that comes before and after the spraying.
You are only shooting a boot lid, so you don't have to
worry about masking or removing trim and whatnot, but
you should still use a pre-paint oil and grease
remover, etc.  Again, buy a good book and follow the
instructions.

But by and large, it should go pretty well.  My advice
would be to spray more coats of paint on the boot lid
than you think you will need, because you'll probably
spend a lot of time sanding it over and over again to
get the finish right.  I'm an amateur, self-taught
painter myself, and I suck at it.  But I just put a
TON of paint on the car, and then I spend a million
hours sanding like an idiot.  The result is always
quite good, but it takes me infinitely longer to do a
decent job than it would a seasoned pro.

> Any precautions I should take?

Oh, my lord, yes.  Get the best rebreather you can
buy.  I'm not aware of all the various laws in various
states, but auto paint is one of the most toxic
substances you will ever run across.  I'm not joking -
be careful.  Many auto paints have isocyanates in
them, and exposure can cause brain damage in minutes.
THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF.  Do a little research on
isocyanates and they will scare the bloody willies out
of you.  Be very, very, very careful.

Brain damage.  No joke.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com