Re: Off topic-need help with a detected virus

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic-need help with a detected virus
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:15:00 -0600
MonteMorris wrote:

> Sorry to bomb the list, but I know there are many computer saavy persons
> here.
> I use AVG Free Edition anti-virus software. It has detected a Trojan horse
> (I don't even know what this is:-) called Dropper.Agent.2.AM and the object
> is listed as:    C:\counter.cab:\counter.exe
> The AVG status is: Infected, Embedded Object.
>
> I've tried the Help section and the virus encyclopedia does not recognize
> this virus and it will not allow me to move it to the Vault; there is no
> "button" displayed to do this.
>
> Can someone tell me what to do with this virus? As you can tell, I'm pretty
> much computer illiterate, so I'll need to be hand-held through any process
> that you describe:-).

A trojan is a program that allows an outside operator to access your
computer from the internet and do just about anything he wants to with
it, including stealing your personal information and passwords. He can
put child porn on your computer and then call in the FBI.

If this were me, I would delete counter.cab.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/