Re: Rear stabilizer bars

To: "'mgs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear stabilizer bars
From: eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:06:23 +1030
James Nazarian wrote:

> Does anyone have any practical experience with what roll bar
> combinations work for race use?

I won't go through the whole story again (and it IS early morning), but:

Standard (CBB) front bar, no rear bar meant I was lifting a rear wheel
under tight cornering.
 - normal front end camber (actually a few degrees positive) and
standard diff
 - oversteer on aggressive cornering

7/8" front bar, no rear bar and this was keeping the rear wheels down, mostly.
 - normal front end camber (actually a few degrees positive) and
standard diff
 - noticable understeer on aggressive cornering

7/8" front bar, no rear bar - keeping the rear wheels down, mostly.
 - 1.5 degrees negative camber and standard diff
 - understeer vastly diminished with the negative camber

7/8" front bar, no rear bar - keeping the rear wheels down, mostly.
 - normal front end camber (actually a few degrees positive) and Limited
Slip diff
 - understeer vastly diminished and now more drive out of corners
(negating ANY lightness of rear wheels)

With the LSD giving me the drive out of the corners I was contemplating
dropping the 7/8" front bar down to 3/4" to hopefully eliminate (as much
as possible if not totally) the understeer and add a rear bar for even
greater overall stability (front and rear).  I was told there was less
need for anti-tramp bars with the LSD but I still get serious "tramp" if
I do not control take-off.

That is MY story.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII