RE: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <DMatt21502@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:16:40 -0800
Paul:

Thanks for the correction.  It's obviously been too long.

The good news is that last night the 80 MGB was completely uncovered and
now looks like an MG instead of a pile of timber and soft goods.  I did
realize the benefit of fiberglass hardtops.  They enable you to pile
much more stuff on top of the car.  There was a bed frame, three camping
chairs, two rolled up carpets and a folded up sword rack sitting on top
of the car.  Not to mention the 2x4s, 4x4s, plywood and other timber
stacked up over the car since my plastic storage shed shredded.

Now I can see it, maybe I'll have a chance to open the bonnet and get
back to working on it so I can refresh my aging memory.

All the best

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of Paul Hunt
> Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:44 AM
> To: DMatt21502@aol.com; mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.
>
> On a 77 and later the horns work by receiving 12v on a purple (fused
> always
> on) on one side of the switch and sending it on a purple/black to the
> horns.
> The horns pick up a ground from their physical fixings.  Ironically
until
> the 77 model year the horn switch *did* use a ground, but it was
picked up
> from the column itself not a black wire.  Collapsible columns can get
> problems with these grounds due to their construction, and I have had
> problems with a horn button as well.
>
> The wiper switch does not involve a ground after 1967.  12v is
received on
> green (fused ignition) and distributed to a red/light-green for the
slow
> speed, and a blue/light-green for the faster speed.  Parking is
achieved
> by
> connecting the brown/light-green to the red/light green.  The motor
has a
> green supply for parking, and a black ground for both running and
parking.
> Not a lot of opportunity for repair, and they are expensive to
replace,
> especially the single combined stalks on the later cars.
>
> The washer switch *does* receive a ground from a black wire and extend
it
> the motor on a light-green/blue, the motor having a green (12v) on its
> other
> terminal.
>
> If the Weber electric choke has its own thermostatic switch like the
> Stromberg system then all it probably needs is the green wire that
came
> off
> the Stromberg heater connected to the Weber.
>
> Do the parking and head lights work OK?  Just not the dash lights?
These