RE: [MG-MGB] Sills

To: "Jim Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: RE: [MG-MGB] Sills
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:32:10 -0800
There were 6 in the class, and the theoretical stuff was broken up with
lots of hands on welding technique practice and playing with body
panels.

The culmination was watching Carl fabricate a repair panel and butt weld
it onto the car.  There is a lot of technique just in grinding and
sanding the butt welds down in a manner that doesn't overly heat and
warp the panel.

Lots of very simple tips such as cutting the balled end of MIG wire off
each time when stitch welding, so the initial strike is clean and
consistent.

For those of us who have a lot of heavy fabrication experience with MIG,
playing with 20 gauge is a whole n'other experience.

There is so much to learn about fitting the A & B body panels that I
suggested to Carl that he offer a generic Welding and Fabrication 101
class using whatever he has in the shop as a demonstration, then offer
MGA and MGB specific classes on panel fitment and repair.  Trying to
pack hands on welding and panel fit in two days is a bit much.

Kelvin Dodd