Re: MGB Fuel Mileage

To: pokrefke1@comcast.net
Subject: Re: MGB Fuel Mileage
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:36:16 -0500
Jim,
    Here is my three-year average for the car :  27.85 mpg.   It is not
driven in snow,  but I do drive it around town in winter  when the roads
are not white with salt.
   As for using it as a daily driver,  some certainly do.  I did for
years, with a rubber-bumper MGB.  That seemed to me to survive the
park-by-ear knocks that a car receives in daily use.  Factors that affect
cost of operation include depreciation, maintenance, insurance, fuel and
driver comfort, among others.  MGB depreciation is stable, now.
Maintenance is, by today's standards, frequent, though inexpensive.
Insurance depends on the whims of your insurer, since collector-car rates
would not apply to an MGB used in daily service.  Driver comfort includes
the question of working defrosters, wipers that clear much of the glass,
rate at which the heater comes alive, etc.
Bob