Re: air pump

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: air pump
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:34:11 -0000
Hi Simon -

In fact my timing *does* cause it to pink when I am touring in a hillier
region than where I live, so I either back off a tad, change down, or even
apply *more* throttle which reduces the vacuum advance.  As far as making it
a recommendation goes I'd be concerned that someone else would drive up a
long hill with it pinking heavily all the time, thinking it was OK.

It's true that there was an era of cars with closed-loop timing which
detected pinking and backed off the timing until it stopped, then kept
slowly advancing it a bit until it detected again then rapidly backed of and
so on.  You could hear the engines 'rattle' when you tromped on the
accelerator then gradually but quickly get quieter.  This is the ideal
method in my book and one I'd love to put on my MGB then I could forget
about springs, weights, vacuum advance, curves, and timing altogether.  But
the crucial difference with that system is that it backs it off to stop it
once it is detected, so it is only momentary.

Cheers,
PaulH.