RE: Black and Yellow Plates?

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Black and Yellow Plates?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:12:27 -0700
Max:

I was able to do this with the original Black and Yellow plates for my
MG Magnette.

Many DMV personnel are not aware of the process as the information went
out in a bulletin about 5 years ago.  At that time I had to take the
bulletin into the DMV with me to convince the clerk of the procedure.

My plates were original to the car, but the process did not require
proof of original issue.

The plates had to be surrendered at the time of request.  They had to be
inspected by Sacramento, and if approved the original BY plates and new
tags were returned.

It seemed like the thing to do with my Black Magnette, rather than
having Modern White plates on the car.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of Max Heim
> Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 9:26 AM
> To: MG List
> Subject: Re: Black and Yellow Plates?
>
> Hmmm, if so, that is a relatively recent development. I've never met
> anyone
> who has done that, at any rate, and I know a lot of car hobbyists.
>
> on 4/1/05 5:57 PM, Ron Fine at RonFineEsq@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > I think you might be wrong about California DMV allowing use of old
> plates.
> > My understanding is that if the old plates are "clear" and
appropriate
> for
> > the year of manufacture of your old car the DMV will allow you to
> register
> > them to your old car.  For example, on my 61 Austin Healey, if I
> purchase
> > plates manufactured for the years 56 to 63 and the DMV shows them as
not
> > currently registered to any car I can have them registered to my
Healey.