Re: Sizing correct bottm end bearings..

To: "Jeremy Loukinas" <Sunadmin@adelphia.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sizing correct bottm end bearings..
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:52:30 +1200
Jeremy

If the wear in the bearings is due to long service and not some catastrophy,
it is very probable that the crankshaft is worn as well.  Not only does the
diameter of the crankpins reduce in diameter through wear, but they can go
oval as well.

If this is the case (long service) you should check the diameter of the
crankpins with a micrometer.

The standard crankpin size is 1.8759 to 1.8764 inch.  Standard undersizes
are 0.010", 0.020" , 0.030", and 0.040"  less than the standard size.

If your crankpin diameter is more than 0.003" less than standard or a
standard undersize, a regrind to the next standard undersize is probably
warranted, and the crankshaft main bearings will need checking as well.

Ian F