Re: [MG-MGB] update on clutch battle

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] update on clutch battle
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:27:18 +0100
I find this surprising.  As soon as the slave piston starts to move at all, it
is starting to take the pressure of the diaphragm springs off the friction
plate.  Soon the clutch will start to slip but still drag, further movement
clears the drag, plus a bit of 'overthrow'.  1/16" in 1/2" of travel is pretty
small, and all I'd expect that to cause is a slightly lower biting point than
normal and hence less overthrow.  From what you were saying you were getting
no attempt to release the drive through the clutch.  Also unless the slave
piston gradually moves back into the cylinder while the pedal is held to the
floor, there is no leakage of fluid past the seals in either the master or the
slave, so refurbing these is unlikely to make any difference to the situation.
A weak and swelling hose could contribute to reduced slave piston travel, as
would insufficient bleeding which could be caused by the bleed nipple being in
the lower hole rather than the upper, as would wear in the linkage at the
master end - ovalling of the holes in the pedal and master push-rod and a
heavily grooved clevis pin.  Mine were significantly worn, losing an inch or
so of pedal travel, but use of the clutch was unaffected as far as releasing
drive goes, not even dragging and grinding going into reverse, just a slightly
lower biting point.  And unless I had another to compare it with I probably
wouldn't have noticed that either.

PaulH.