Re: update on clutch battle

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: update on clutch battle
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:50:29 -0600 (MDT)
The references I have say that the movement should be 3/8" at the slave
cylinder.  Now I can't say that is 100% correct for every mgb and clutch,
but that's what the references say.  If you need 1/2" to disengage the
clutch, then it is a bad pressure plate, or something between the clutch
disc and the pressure plate.  Has the pressure plate been taken out, and
checked for true and had the springs checked??  I had a new one that was
bad - just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.  If it has been
checked, this should fall on deaf ears, if not, that's what needs to be
done next.  While you have it out check the throw-out bearing face.  If
the disc is ok, and in fact you need 1/2" of travel at the slave when the
spec is 3/8" of travel, then it is a hydraulics problem - most likely a
bad master cylinder, or the wrong slave cylinder, as someone else said.

These need to be checked in that order though - check the clutch disc wear
surface depth, then the pressure plate for it's trueness, and even spring
pressure, then the throw-out, then the hydraulics.  If the hydraulics are
checked first, and any of the other three are off, the problem will remain
unresolved.  So far your hydraulics check says there is something wrong
with the mechanical portion, as you need 1/2" to do what 3/8" of travel is
supposed to do.

Phil Bates
'67 mgb
'58 mga