Re: HS4 float chamber seal

To: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: HS4 float chamber seal
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:47:53 -0500
At 05:32 PM 4/25/05 +0930, Eric Erickson wrote:
>On 25/04/2005, at 4:52 PM, Eric Erickson wrote:
>>It was much easier than I was led to believe - but this is being said
>>before I have finished :-)
>
>Ha Ha Ha Ha (don't mind me - I am hysterical!).
>
>Easy as pie - got it back together agiain after popping the little seal
>back into place (actually slipped it and a washer that was there
>originally on the end of the little hose and slipped it back into the
>hole.  Did up the nut and... fuel everywhere!

Wrong sequence.

>Took it apart, fished out the little seal and did it over again.  this
>time I popped the little seal into the hole first to see if that made a
>difference.  Did it up again and - fuel everywhere.

Still the wrong sequence.

>This is silly!

No, it's a learning curve.
This is a compression seal.
Put the nut on the hose first (probably already there).
Then put the washer on the hose next to the nut.
Then put the seal on the hose next after the washer.
The washer is there to prevent the nut from chewing up the seal.
Then put the whole works into the port on the float chamber and tighten it up.

I believe the tip of the hose needs to extend slightly farther than the
nut/washer/seal combination, so that the tip of the hose will enter the
smaller pilot hole in the bottom of the port. Then when the nut is
tightened the washer will squeeze the seal against the inner end (floor) of
the port.  With the hose already in the smaller hole, the seal is
restricted to the annular space around the hose, and it will be squeezed
outward to seal against the outer wall of the port, and inward to seal
against the hose (at the same time as it seals against the floor of the
port and against the washer).

Assuming this works, I may congratulate myself for explaining it without
ever having done it.  If it doesn't work, my name is Hose Emannis, and
don't blame it on anyone else.