mga 1600 bore

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mga 1600 bore
From: "Mike L" <renoman@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:29:20 -0400
>From two MGA's I have pulled two 1600 engines and am planning to rebuild one.
Upon disassembly I find each unlined block bored to 3.03 inches complete with
"in tolerance" 5 ring pistons (a 2nd oil ring is near the bottom). These
pistons have fancy side slots and one set also has split skirts. No oversize
markings are visible.

The MGA books say 1600 standard bore is 2.968 inches so this set up would be
60 thou oversize.  A 1622 block has a 3.000" standard bore and this would be
30 thou over, but as I said both my blocks are embossed 1600, not 1622.

Before I can decide on reboring to the next size or staying put or finding
another block, maybe someone can clue me in on this (coincidental?) anamoly.
Perhaps it was a common practice to stuff 20, 30 or 40 thou 1622 pistons into
a 1600 block? Since the eng #  tags were missing, maybe these 1600 engines are
transplants from another MG application with larger bore specs.

Mike