RE: MG and TVR merge

To: "'Aeseeyou@aol.com'" <Aeseeyou@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: MG and TVR merge
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:15:33 +0100
Albert asked: "...are there any Owner's surveys regarding the approval or
long term driving surveys out  there for
someone who is interested can read about the cars quirks or  idiosyncrasies
for themselves..."

Each year Top Gear (TV motoring program, and accompagnying magazine,
produced by the BBC) does a totally independant survey on owners of 2-3 year
old cars.  I have to say the MG TF hasn't done too well generally.  From
last years results, in the "Would you buy this car again" category, the MGF
came 3rd last, with the MG TF 5th last (out of 141).  Not good.  I don't
have the more detailed results to hand, I could dig them up from last
Decembers copy of the magazine which I have at home.

About 8 years ago my mother-in-law asked my advice on buying a replacement
for her Ford Escort Cabriolet.  I would really have liked to tell her to buy
the MG, but even fiddling with it sitting still, quickly after checking out
an MX5 (UK name for Miata), I could tell the Mazda was much better built,
and the magazine reviews I'd read were better, so I had to recommend that.
Admittedly I took into account the fact that she's a mechanical klutz who
owned the Escort for 4 or 5 years before she found out that cars need
occasional oil changes, and I reckoned the Mazda would stand up to her
neglect rather better!

On the other hand, the MGF / TF has been the best-selling roadster for most
of the years it has been on sale in this country.  But that may have more to
do with the saleability of the MG brand than how good the car turns out to
be once you've bought it.  I hate to do MG down, I really do, but I have to
be honest (even if the honesty is more about other's opinions that I have
read, rather than those I have had a chance to develop myself).

Richard & Nancy

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.