Re: NON - MG Computer Problem

To: "Zach Dorsch" <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>, "MG LIST"
Subject: Re: NON - MG Computer Problem
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:13:29 +1200
There are nasties out there that will shut down your protection and virus
systems, an indeed stop you from accessing sites that provide anti
malware/virus solutions.

You can get excellent one on one help at
http://net-integration.net/forums.html

You will need to register ( free)

Go to 'forums'  and then 'Browser Hijack and Malware removal'

You will be probably asked to run programme called 'Hijackthis', which
generates a report that you then post back to the forum. This report is
checked, and you will receive a recommendation on what action to take.

Beauty of the forum is that you will get expert help on malware problems and
as well will get advice on other programmes that startup with your computor
that run in background just in case they are needed but just generally just
hog resources.

Ian F

> Hi List,
>
> I have noticed that a number of you deal with computers at a professional
level (something that I am definitely not!).  I would normally go to my
university ITS but they don't open until Monday.

> My computer decided to go crazy today for lack of better terms.  Basically
I was on the internet searching the usual sites that I check every morning
during breakfast and all of sudden the computer just slowed down.  I next
got a pop up error message informing me that my firewall had been shut down
and automatic updates are also not activated.  Every time I try to activate
these two I get an error message which will not allow me to activate them.
I have checked the 'Windows Task Manager' frequently because the computer
has been chugging along even though CPU usage 0% or 100%.  Then everything
is fine until I try to start opening programs and sometimes it will take
forever and other times not (especially when going to the Windows download
page--when it does finally connect I get another error message).

> Does this sound like a virus or has something managed to get shut down and
thus effected the rest of the computer?