Re: New distributor

To: Michael Harnois <mharnois@cpinternet.com>, MG List
Subject: Re: New distributor
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:19:16 -0700
on 7/28/05 7:17 PM, Michael Harnois at mharnois@cpinternet.com wrote:

> I had my distributor in pieces day before yesterday, and one of my
> discoveries was that the centrifugal dadvance weights were quite gummed
> up. A good shot of parts cleaner followed by a good shot of compressed
> air did wonders for their mobility.

Oh yeah. I have had to do that, too, on a couple of cars.

> What sort of pervert designed and placed the distributor mount? I have
> tried four different tools to tighten and loosen that clamp and none of
> them works particularly well. Also, when you do get the distributor
> loose enough to turn, it almost immediately pops out of the mount
> altogether. Thank goodness it's impossible to reinstall wrong.

Definitely some kind of sadist. For a routine maintenance item it is
diabolically difficult to access. I have found that a 7/16" box wrench from
a set of Craftsman distributor wrenches works best -- it is very thin (like
a bicycle wrench), and is only about 3 inches long.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149