Re: Overheating

To: "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:18:13 -0600 (MDT)
Ok, here's my deal, I've had bad experiences with cars lately, and have
become paranoid.  In that vein, I'd say this - look up the resistance that
you're supposed to have on the sending unit.  Boil some water in an open
pot on the stove.  Put the sender in - check the resistance.  This way you
know if it is the sender.  If so, replace, if not, put it back.  Check the
wiring to the thermostatic control on the fans.  It really sounds like
your fan switch isn't getting a signal.

Anyhow, as far as the water pump is concerned, it is not likely to be the
problem.  If you still have coolant, then it should be good.  If it is
causing a serious issue, it will leak by the seal into the weep hole, and
you'd see it.  There were some with plastic impellers for a while, but
most of those are gone already, all the replacements now have metal, and
don't go bad (other than cracking the housing at the alt/gen connection or
loosing a seal and leaking out the weep hole).

Phil Bates
'58 MGA with a leaking water pump
'67 MGB that cracked the housing at the alternator mount