pumpkin problems?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: pumpkin problems?
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:00:24 -0400
I know less about differentials then probably any other part of the
car... which leaves much to be said!. Given that state of affairs, how
can I tell if it's time for another one of those painful learning sessions?

I am dealing with a 1980 MGB with overdrive. Recently I have noticed a
slight 'clank' sound upon pulling away from a stop. Also was noticing a
slight intermittant squeal type noise when I pass an embankment or
something that can reflect sound back to me.

Initally I figured brakes were squealing and probably a loose shock or
shock link, so I jacked it up, and got under to check for loose parts. I
found the spring ubolts had probably stretched a little, so tightened
them down. Shocks and links were all tight, but I did find the right
side damper had pissed out all its fluid, refilling it simply got me a
bigger mess... (so far, none of the Apple rebuilt shocks have lasted
very long...).  I suppose this could be a potential source of noise,
but  the sound is not coming from the right side of the car as nearly as
I or a passenger can tell. Anyway, my experience is that shocks go
"clunk", not "clank"! All spring shackles and eyebolts were tight.

I could not find anything to fit the plug on the pumpkin to check the
oil level, so I will have to find am implement to fit...

I pulled the wheels and drums to inspect the rear brakes. They were all
in almost new condition, I replaced everything about two years ago, and
only a few thousand miles since then. Turning the axle by hand, it would
turn about a quarter turn in either direction before engaging the other
side. How much play should there be? Is this possibly the source of my
'clank'? Cleaned everything up with brake cleaner and put it all back
together.

I checked the driveshaft, put some fresh grease in the nipple on the
yoke. The front and rear u-joints seemed tight with no play. Turning it
by hand, it would turn a little in either direction before engaging
something in the pumpkin.

It was about 11 pm, almost no traffic when I took a test ride... very
quiet out. I still had the clank on takeoff, and I could discern a
slight squeal from the rear.  Time for new rear bearings?

Consulting shop manuals raise more questions then they answer... They
all talk about pre-load and backlash, but what I need is the benefit of
someone's experience to determine what the heck is going on!

--
Marc

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]