Leak-Down Vs Compression

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leak-Down Vs Compression
From: "RICHARD BOES" <csrb7007@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:54:19 -0400
On our ongoing rehab of a '79 B which sat for 5 years,  compression tests-dry
(155-170) & wet (175-195), we pulled the engine & gearbox in order to prep
engine box for painting.  I talked with a restoration shop today and the owner
asked why we weren't overhauling the engine.  I told him of the compression
tests and he then told of the leak down test and engines, sitting for extended
periods, have gone T/U shortly after steady operation.

I've performed leak-down tests on marine diesels but never a gas engine.  As
another point is that we had the engine running before pulling it.

Anybody have any experience/advice with this situation?

Thanks,
Dick Boes
Stafford, VA
'79 B