RE: Leak-Down Vs Compression

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Leak-Down Vs Compression
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:06:42 -0700
Heck, I'm starting to go bad after sitting for just a couple of hours.

Max:

There are a few areas to be careful of.  The valves can stick in the
guides and the rings can create a corroded and or deformed ridge in the
cylinders.  Rings can also become stuck, so they are not capable of
sealing tapered cylinder.  Oil and carbon can do some pretty evil things
when they sit around together for too long, not to mention the acidic
byproducts of combustion.  A leak down test is going to give some sense
of the condition of the valves and rings before cranking the motor over
and perhaps putting a valve through a piston.  Turning the engine over
by hand is the first task.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf