Re: MGB Wobbles

To: AGreenberg@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Wobbles
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:59:05 -0400
Alex,
   That much slack when you turn the entire shaft is probably  wear in
the thrust washers of the rear axle.  It's possible that there is wear in
the splines of the sliding joint, but suspect the thrust washers first.
   If you can grasp the drive shaft, shake it, and feel side-to-side and
up-&-down motion, that is more likely to be universal joints.  Greasing
the u-joints may give a temporary tightening of them for this shake test.
 You can also grasp the shaft on either side of a u-joint and try to
twist the parts in different directions. If there is any relative
movement, drop in at the local auto parts store for u-joints. Cheap and
nasty to replace.
Bob