RE: Classic Car Insurance

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, <RampantNM@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Classic Car Insurance
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:15:08 -0600
I think this brings up even more of an issue. But first let me backtrack a bit
since i am just coming into this discussion.

I have been insured with USAA for about 30 years. They have always been
slightly cheaper than all other competitors (that I know of) because they do
not have agents and they are fairly selective on who they insure by driving
record and military background. But for a long time, and possibly even now,
they would only insure my MGs for liability. They said they would only insure
vehicles for full coverage if they were no older than ten years (this was
several years ago though when I last asked).

So based on previous list discussions, I checked classic car insurance and
moved my LBCs over to Hagerty about five years ago. I get full coverage for
both cars at $135 compared to what was about $300 a year for liability only
per car with USAA. If I did not drive them to work at all, they would really
get very little use. Even now, since I have four cars, each MG probably gets
only 2000 miles a year.

So back to the dilemma of the car getting whacked in a parking lot - well if I
had regular car insurance, I wouldn't get a dime anyway since they would only
give me liability. So if Hagerty did not cover it because it was at the campus
parking lot, am I any worse off? Bottom line is I get more coverage for a lot
less money even if it only covers my car under limited circumstances. I do
sometimes drive them to work and I make sure the car is where it can be seen,
so it does get displayed along with getting a needed mainteanace drive.

Is there regular comprehensive car insrance for a MGB rather than the minimal
liability coverage? Maybe USAA didn't offer it because its not really
practical with the value of the car and reapir costs versus cost of insurance.
Yes, I'm probably not abiding to the classic car policy by the letter but the
cars are still under a low risk scenario similar to the intent of the policy
and they are not daily drivers anymore. But then I really don't have a daily
driver  as the duty is split between all my cars.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
74 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40