Re: Any info on MGA-Judson S.C. used in racing?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Any info on MGA-Judson S.C. used in racing?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:38:37 -0500
At 08:38 AM 10/23/05 -0500, Charles Robinson wrote:

>.... does the Judson blower still use a drip oiler for the vanes?

Yes.  As far as I kow it always did.  For the prescribed installation
in the MGA there is a special aluminum valve cover with an excention
on the back end which holds the oil reservoir.  That was originally a
glass jar.  I assume there are no replacement parts for that piece,
so if it gets broken you may see various substitutes.  See picture
here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/variants/pics/judson2.jpg
I have no idea why the jar was mounted in the special valve
cover.  Just cute I guess.

>I ran a Judson on a early Corvair Monza years ago.  It had a oil
>reservoir  (a 1 qt glass jar, believe it or not) that was connected
>to a vacuum port on the blower inlet side.

More likely it was a ventui rather than a vacuum port.  A venturi can
meter the oil proportional to the air flow rate.

>You adjusted the oil feed (Marvel Mystery Oil) to such and so many
>drops per minute at X rpm.

Yup.

>The blower boosted pretty well around town but the boost dropped
>significantly on the highway, because the vanes heated up and warped
>a little, losing contact with the inside of the housing and allowing
>air to leak past them.

We know this type of blower generates a fair amount of heat, which is
why it's not as efficient in operation as the newer Rootes screw type
compressors.  I hadn't heard about warped vanes though.

>For this reason, I don't expect many Judsons were used in road
>racing.  Could be wrong, tho.

Yes, even a little boost makes an appreciable improvement in performance.

For what it's worth, a short while before I got my driver's license
(mid 60's) a friend had a Corvair Monza with a factory installed
turbocharger.  That thing went like scat.  With the majority of the
weight on the drive wheels it was a hoot to blow through the quarter
mile drags, but scarry as hell for handling at high speed.  The only
problem he had with it was having to reinstall the fan belt after a
brisk quarter mile run, as four 90 degree twists in the belt do not
like high revs.  A bit of creativity with some belt guides fixed that
problem (mostly).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com