RE: Cooling related to water flow

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>,
Subject: RE: Cooling related to water flow
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:29:06 -0700
I can't say for sure but its likely that the flow from laminar to
turbulent is well short with the present design. I was just answering
Barrie's question in a literal sense. The point still remains that there
would be a point where increasing the flow of coolant (or by the same
token, air past the heater core) would in fact result in a reduction in
heat transfer (both in efficiency and net transfer). It is likely that
some improvements could be made to the B (and maybe to other cars) but
only up to a certain point. I, in fact, had pondered the virtues of
improving upon the heater fan, by increase of rpms and impeller design,
during my college days to get more heated air out of my 65B, a project
that also seemed to interest my professor at the time. I'm sure such a
thought in this era of more modern cars would be more likely to get a
blank stare.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B