Intermittant losses in power

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intermittant losses in power
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:27:28 -0700 (MST)
This morning as I drove to work, I had odd losses of power (again, I wrote
into the list about it a couple weeks ago thinking it could be PCV
related).  Anyhow, I now have an MGA-like PCV system, have checked that
none of my charging system or ignition system wires touch anything else,
and I've had a hard pipe water heater fitting made (so I know it's not a
leaking valbe dripping on the distributor.  I should preface this with the
fact that I've installed some extra gauges - a voltmeter, ammeter, and
manifold vacuum gauge.  The car is a '67 MGB fitted with an internally
regulated alternator.  Here are the symptoms - I'm driving along at
freeway speeds (80mph) and I can feel the car lose power.  So I look at
the gauges - which tell me nothing.  I give the car some gas, and can hear
it stress, but it maintains speed.  The manifold vacuum goes from 5 inches
to 1 (as would be consistant with flooring the car).  The power loss lasts
0.1 to 0.3 miles.  Then all goes back to normal.

This happened 5 times this morning during my 30 mile commute.  It happened
aobut 3 times one morning a couple weeks ago (and BTW, I'm in Idaho - it
was about 15 this morning).  Between those, I've had no similar incidents.

It seems that this must be an electrical/ignition issue, or the power
wouldn't come back 100%.

Anyone got any suggestions??

Phil Bates