Re: Intermittant losses in power

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intermittant losses in power
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:28:58 EST
Phil,

This is a long shot but it happened to me.  I couldn't figure out why  I
could cruise around the suburbs all day with good power, but when I got on a
high-speed road it seemed to lose power sporadically.  I wasn't even  thinking
about that when I was re-attaching the sound-deadening mat that was  starting
peel off the underside of the bonnet, but suddenly it struck me that  at speed
the mat flap could be pressed over the top of my front open K&N air  filter.
Driving with the mat re-glued shows good consistent power.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang

on  1/25/06 3:27 PM, Phil Bates at jello@ida.net wrote:

> This morning  as I drove to work, I had odd losses of power (again, I wrote
> into the  list about it a couple weeks ago thinking it could be PCV
>  related).  Anyhow, I now have an MGA-like PCV system, have checked  that
> none of my charging system or ignition system wires touch  anything else,
> and I've had a hard pipe water heater fitting made (so  I know it's not a
> leaking valbe dripping on the distributor.  I  should preface this with the
> fact that I've installed some extra  gauges - a voltmeter, ammeter, and
> manifold vacuum gauge.  The  car is a '67 MGB fitted with an internally
> regulated alternator.   Here are the symptoms - I'm driving along at
> freeway speeds (80mph)  and I can feel the car lose power.  So I look at
> the gauges -  which tell me nothing.  I give the car some gas, and can hear
> it  stress, but it maintains speed.  The manifold vacuum goes from 5  inches
> to 1 (as would be consistant with flooring the car).  The  power loss lasts
> 0.1 to 0.3 miles.  Then all goes back to  normal.
>
> This happened 5 times this morning during my 30 mile  commute.  It happened
> aobut 3 times one morning a couple weeks  ago (and BTW, I'm in Idaho - it
> was about 15 this morning).   Between those, I've had no similar incidents.
>
> It seems that  this must be an electrical/ignition issue, or the power
> wouldn't come  back 100%.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions??
>
> Phil  Bates

Editorial  Director