Starter Motor Disengages Too Easily

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Motor Disengages Too Easily
From: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:14:31 +0100
[Only Very Slightly OT]

Hi fellow listers,

I'm having a problem currently with a car with a Lucas starter motor,
Model M35G,
(_not_ the pre-engaged type with the solenoid on top of it, where the
solenoid also
shifts the gear into active position but rather it is a starter motor
where the solenoid
has been placed elsewhere).

The problem is that upon the very first firing of the engine, the
gear disengages,
so that the starter motor continues to spin at much higher RPM,
but without spinning the engine, so that the engine will not start.

I have owned the car for almost 28 years now, but it has not been
driven for the last 22 years.
When I remember correctly, the car has been doing this occasionally
when I still used it as my daily driver,
until 1982  or so, but not to this extent where I can't get the
engine started any more.

Before taking the starter motor apart: does anyone have an idea?
I checked and adjusted the ignition timing so that shouldn't be the cause.

The car is a 1972 Sunbeam Sceptre [Hillman Hunter based].

Bert
who also has a 1970 MGB