Re: I've got brakes!!!

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I've got brakes!!!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:56:11 -0000
It doesn't!  The system that uses the remote servo anyway, which in the
early days was only an option.  Another common problem with this servo is it
causing the brakes to stick on.  When touring with a friend his V8 got so
bad that we disabled them by disconnecting the vacuum hose from the servo
and plugging the end with a spare spark plug.  I drove it to see what it was
like and apart from the first tentative push where I did notice a very
slight increase in foot pressure required I just didn't notice the
difference at all in normal driving, nor when I got back into my own car.
You could say that maybe mine wasn't working either, but there is precious
little difference between my roadster and V8 both with the same system.

However it appears that those systems with the integral servo are very
different and the servo gives significant additional braking effort,
presumably because the ratio of master to slave was changed, to give a
shorter travel brake pedal.

PaulH.