RE: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:13:43 -0800
I hope so.  That is where I've always placed the jack including last
Saturday evening.

It is a good question to ask, as there are a number of vehicles that do
not have strong enough axle tubes to support the weight of the vehicle
if lifted from the center.  Luckily the MGA and MGB are not among them.

BTW.  Changing subject.  I finally came across a wire wheel that was so
stuck I hate to use a flame wrench on it.

The front left wheel on a 59 MGA was frozen solid, no amount of manual
exertion would get it to budge.  I finally ended up cutting the spokes
and splitting the hub with a torch.

Now I'm recovering from smoke inhalation and very sore biceps from
tugging on the wheel.

It looks like a PO used standard 5/16" nuts on the brake drum and the
wheel hub seized on the taller nuts.

Kelvin.