Re: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:38:48 -0000
Immediately in front of the front spring hanger.  I use small blocks of wood
between the base of the hanger plate and the top of the axle stand to spread
the load.  You can then jack under the spring to support it and the axle
while you undo the U-bolts, but if you are doubtful about the integrity of
the axle rebound straps you will also need to support the axle when jacking
the spring down.  When refitting the spring and the rear shackle, on a
chrome bumper car there should be no problem about the shackle moving into
the correct position once the weight is on the springs, which should be more
or less vertical.  However because the upper eye of the shackle is much
lower in relation to the lower eye on rubber bumper cars you may need to
lever the rear eye of the spring down when jacking up under the spring/axle
to the axle or it could jam up against the chassis rail and give a very high
stance.

PaulH.