RE: rebuild or part out?

To: Peter Ryner <pryner@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: rebuild or part out?
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 04:40:53 -0800 (PST)
Peter, I think you need to get rid of the car.

  I see words like 'invested' and 'value' and 'collector' and that makes  me
think that you are expecting a bit too much from this MGB.... Many  people who
do a nuts and bolts restoration on these cars end up upside  down, with more
invested than the car is worth. There are just too many  B's around, even
today, to make them 'collectors', unless you have the  first couple of cars. I
think you have a '66 (?), a great example of a  chrome-bumper car, but not one
that is of any special interest.

  My '65 project will be undergoing some bodywork but my plan is to clean  up
and put back most of the original parts. I want it to be as original  as
possible, and frankly, when I buy used parts, I am looking for those  with
built-in patina! Doing much of your own work is another way to  keep costs
down, as you noted.

  So, whatever you do, go into it eyes wide open. Most of us don't total  up
our bottom line for parts spent - it's too scary! We do it because  we love our
B's, and want to drive them, not invest in them.

  As far as reshelling, you may be better off locating a new shell from the
south or west, where it is dryer.

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328