Re: 123 Distributor

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 123 Distributor
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:44:09 +0100
No experience of using them, but I have seen web sites on them, and the MGOC
now supplies them.  FWIW they are a solid-state replacement for the standard
distributor which looks fairly similar to the original, albeit with a shiny
body and a red cap.  It has an electronic trigger instead of points and
microprocessor-controlled centrifugal and advance 'mechanisms', although the
vacuum advance is optional.  There is a switch somewhere which allows you to
select one of 16 curves based on the original Lucas specifications, the
reference numbers of which are given.

Remember that whilst it may be a way of getting back to the original factory
curve without spending hours fiddling with springs, whether the original
curve is now appropriate with the vastly different fuels we have is
unlikely.  However it does allow you to try various curves, and use the one
that seems to give the best results.  Don't be tempted to buy the cheaper
unit without vacuum advance thinking you will be getting a 'performance'
distributor, it won't make your car go any faster, and for road use you will
only be losing cruising economy.

This site is Mini-based but you should get the picture:
http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/123DIST%2DAV/AddedFrom/Search2%2D123/InvDetail.cfm

PaulH.