Re: Halogen Instrument Bulbs

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen Instrument Bulbs
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:32:28 -0400
I used the lbcarco bulbs --  they're a huge improvement, in terms of
the light output.

However, they burned out in about a year (15k miles).  And since
they're incandescent, increased light=increased heat.  The
electronics in our instruments are heat sensitive (particularly
capacitors).  In the tachometer on my '70, the bulb is about 1/4"
away from a  capacitor.

The combination of these bulbs, and increased heater output from an
MGOC heater kit, gave me erratic tach outputs all winter (a couple of
years ago -- it's in the archives).

Eventually the capacitor in question ruptured, and the tach froze
(gummed up with whatever it is that would come out of an exploded
capacitor) at 3500 rpm.  Luckily, I had a replacement tach on the
shelf.  Interestingly, the replacement tach -- identical externally
-- has that one capacitor positioned slightly differently; further
from the bulb.

So, though I did appreciate the extra light, I didn't replace them
with a new set when they burned out.

YMMV, etc.

Cleaning the glass, and making sure the inside of the instrument
canister  is clean white (or silver or blue) paint, is a good first
step, and trying new stock-type bulbs is a good idea too.

Matt