Re: Tunes in the B...

Subject: Re: Tunes in the B...
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:08:01 -0700
On Apr 16, 2006, at 4:31 PM, AGreenberg@aol.com wrote:

> What I'd like  to do is put in a half way decentRadio/CD combo.
> When I put in
> my  cassette/radio a few years ago, I had a lot of trouble with the
> length (
> front  to rear ). It was almost too tight.  I really don't want to
> go out and
> buy  something that just won't fit.
> Any  recommendation out there?  Is there a sound setup the work
> really well
> for  our little roadsters?

My advice is to take your console apart and physically measure your
space.  Then before paying for a deck, make sure it will fit by
measuring it in the store.  If the store wont let you do that, find
another store.  I had no trouble fitting a Pioneer CD player in my
'75, with LOTS of room to spare, but I suspect the '75 just has more
space in that regard.

> I'm thinking  about a pair if 6" or 5x7s in the back deck between
> the trunk
> and the  cockpit?

I have two 6x9" holes in my deck that cause me no end of
consternation.  The speakers were not in any way able to deal with
the wind noise, so I put them in boxes that sit on the deck.  That,
with an amplifier is enough to just about be decent when the top is
down, things are fine with the top up.  I'm just gratified it wasn't
*me* that cut holes in the car.

I had better results when I had 4 speakers (two behind the seats, 2
in the doors), but I refuse to cut holes in new door panels, so I let
the sound suffer :)

I suspect the only way to really overcome the noise is to go with
Fiero or Miata seats with speakers integrated in the headrests.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs