RE: upgraded alternators?

To: "dave houser" <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: upgraded alternators?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:36:58 -0700
Dave:

I used to run a B Series powered pro rally car through the woods at
night with Halogen headlights, 4 driving lights, the heater and wipers
all operating.

This all on a 35 amp Lucas alternator.

Unless you have some ridiculously high output stereo, there is not much
sense in putting such a large alternator on your car.  It's a bit like
the old practice of putting bigger carburetors on an engine.  The extra
output doesn't do you any good and adds excessive drag to the engine if
the battery does become drawn down due to leaving the lights on or...

A standard A1611 alternator is fine for regular use.  If you do need
more power the A18 series from the 1977-80 cars is a direct bolt and
plug in replacement for the A1611.

Kelvin.