Re: Ethanol in the Gas

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ethanol in the Gas
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:38:52 -0700
Sorry, that didn't come out right. I certainly wasn't defending MTBE -- it's
a carcinogen, and the feds rammed it down Californian's throats: "Oh, you
want cleaner air? You gotta take this crap". I understand it was a
problematic byproduct of petroleum production that the oil companies were
glad to be able to foist off on somebody rather than having to pay to
dispose of.

Bu the fact remains that producing ethanol from corn actually uses more
fossil fuel-derived energy than the energy content of the ethanol produced.
It's a net energy loss, and still burns hydrocarbons and uses petroeum-based
fertilizers, so it's essentially a tradeoff between slightly reduced smog in
urban areas and use of diesel equipment, trucks and fertilizer in rural
areas. Perhaps the economics of sugar cane or other crops are different, but
corn-derived ethanol is essentially an agricultural subsidy.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149