Re: MGA Oil Change

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Oil Change
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:55:54 -0700
When I got my MGB, the first time I went to change the oil, I opened up the
filter housing and found a similar situation. The filter just seemed to be
plopped in there with no sealing at either end. Lacking a good reference for
the missing bits, I bagged the whole assembly, and acquired a spin-on
adapter from a later model (from 14th Street Auto Wrecking in Oakland, which
no longer appears to be there).

It should come as no surprise that several bearings disintegrated in short
order -- the poor thing had probably never had any oil filtering since it
had been assembled. Another DPO botch...

In your situation, I would be inclined to convert to spin-on; at least, if I
drove it regularly and did my own maintenance. Who needs the mess?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149